Sunday, May 22, 2011

Liberty of London Sampler Necklace Tutorial





The other day while cleaning out my bag, I noticed my Liberty of London (ala Target) wallet wasn't looking too hot. I suppose a cloth wallet, that I throw in the bottom of my bag, is bound to get a bit dirty. However, the LASS gals had so much fun searching our pretties out, I really didn't want to replace something so sentimental. Luckily a bit of googling and a good scrubbing with baby wipes later the wallet cleaned up pretty well. This experience got me thinking about how I should have done something to protect my wallet in the first place, and also about maybe making some of my own accessories with Liberty of London fabric. Inspired by Susan Beal's tutorial on Craftsylish, and yet not having any bracelet blanks on hand, I came up with the following solutions:
Liberty of London Sampler Necklace Tutorial

Supplies:

  • Fabric scraps (I used a charm pack of LOL lawn fabric)
  • Covered Button Kit(s)
  • Jump Rings (one for every button)
  • Chain and closure (desired length)
The first thing to do, is to follow the instructions on your covered button kit. Using the circle template cut out your fabric to cover your buttons.


Cut out a fabric circle for every button, taking care to capture the elements of pattern you like on your print. You can change up the look of the necklace by clustering many buttons together, or vary the size of the buttons you use. For my first necklace I went for four 18mm buttons.

Having learned from my wallet, the next thing I did was cover the fabric with Scotchgard Fabric and Needle Craft Protector. I gave them two thin coats, waiting for the application to dry after the first coat before I applied the next.

The next step obviously it to cover your buttons. Follow the directions on your kit to assemble your buttons. If you have used lawn like I did, this should be very easy. However, if you used a thicker fabric or a pima cotton you might have to put a bit more elbow grease into it. Take your time and make sure you catch all your edges.


Now, we all like our necklaces different lengths, so trim your chain to the desired length and attach your closure. Open a jump ring and pass it through your button shank and also through the link on the chain. If you have never used jump rings before, do not pry the ring apart at the gap by pulling the sides back from each other. Instead bend one side to the left and the other to the right. When you're ready to close the ring, bend the two sides back toward each other, actually closing and passing the other side once, before you bend it back one last time to close. This will keep your ring closed tight and not oblong.

For you odd numbered button folks, fold the chain in half to find the center and attach your first button in the link there. Measuring up from your center button, attach the rest of your buttons evenly spacing them along your chain. If you have an even number buttons like I did, you can use your center measurement to place the button evenly on either side.

Viola, you're done. If you want a matching bracelet just repeat the above and shorten your chain. Go on now, make a couple for friends and wear with pride while sipping some tea.


2 comments:

Mortadella said...

wow. cool!

i wish I could have seen the cleaned wallet too. ; )

talarteimeh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.